Veterans Recognition Event and Biker Run for Veterans
June 15 2019 Laurel Highlands Historical Village and Rocky’s Tavern will be co-hosting the 2nd annual Cambria County Veterans Recognition Event and Bike Run, in support of all veterans. This is the 3rd annual event at Rocky’s and promises to be memorable for all veterans who attend. The event kicks off at 9 am as the staff of Rocky’s provide a free breakfast for all veterans attending. At 10 am we will honor selected veterans from various wars and conflicts, during a special ceremony.
- The Conemaugh Valley DET 287 Marine Corps League will present colors, as the ceremony starts off.
- The National Anthem and God Bless America will be performed by Dan Stonerook.
- Guest minister to ask prayer. A special sing along with each branch’s military hymn will follow the prayer.
- The ceremony includes presentations from Governor Wolf , Congressman Rothfus, State Senator Wayne Langerholc, Jr, Representative Jim Rigby, Representative Frank Burns, Cambria County Commissioners, and LHHV Board.
- Guest Speakers include, Tom Caulfield with Veteran Community Initiatives, Retired Douglas Lengenfelder Retired col. US Air Force.
- This year we will have a special presentation of the “Quilts of Valor”. Quilts that are handmade by Patty Wilson and other women from the region.
- The presentation will conclude with Josh H. Hauser, the Cambria County Director of Veteran Affairs, handing out citations to veterans.
- Then TAPS will sound, as we reflect on those we have lost.
During the event we will also be collecting food and paper goods for area veterans in need.
This event is just a small way of saying thanks to veterans, who go unnoticed, those in our community who gave up a part of their life, to serve our country.
At 11 am the Veterans Bike Run registration will start.
Please note even if it rains the bike run is still set to take place. The run is set to travel a route south of Johnstown to Somerset County returning to Rocky’s Tavern around 5 pm. Dinner will be served. The Bike run fee includes the meal. Those not on the bike run wishing to have dinner will pay $10.00 each or $15.00 a couple.
Also during the day there will be guest speakers on hand to chat with veterans about their specific needs, including health care, veteran’s rights, disability, housing and much more. We also plan to have veterans chat session, whereby vets can share their stories with the children attending. There will be a basket party, with many baskets from a variety of local vendors.
The event was created in an effort to help those Veterans who are home bound, and need food and other household items. Those in attendance are being asked to bring in a food donation, which will be used to help those veterans in need. Rocky’s Tavern is accepting food donations ongoing at this time.
If you have any food, paper goods, or any other useful items please feel free to take to Rocky’s Tavern in Woodvale.
We also built a Veterans Memorial, honoring all veterans from all wars and conflicts, in American History. The memorial provides a place for reflection, solitude, and education. The memorial is located on the breast of Hinckston Dam.
Any questions or concerns please call Rocky’s at 814-535-6214 or call LHHV 814-241-6123.